Looking for the best CMS platforms to help boost your e-commerce business? Here’s six of the best to get you started.
Do you ever wonder why Bill Gates, in 1996, emphasised the phrase “Content is king”? Let me explain! The impact created by an informative article or an interesting video is way more than that of a straight-forward advertisement with no content. The internet has educated its users to such an extent that they know about every product available in the market but faces a problem in choosing the right one. Content creators come to the users’ rescue by persuading them to buy a certain product. But how? They don’t push the product right into the users’ faces; marketing is done in a subtle way on the internet to attract customers, not annoy them.
In ecommerce, content writing is gaining a lot of attention due to its benefits in SEO and customers’ preference over other marketing tactics.
What is Content Marketing?
Traditional marketing works when a product is blatantly marketed to gain a person’s interest. Content marketing works differently; your goal is not to reach the customer but to let the customer reach or discover you. Why will a customer do that? This is where the magic happens! When you write an engaging article about a new product, people become interested and want to know more about it!
People tend to like convincing and relevant content because it has value for them in it. Old marketing techniques such as flyers and brochures have lost their importance because people view them as just money-making schemes. If you have decided to use content marketing in your ecommerce website, you must consider using a software tool to manage all your content.
What is a Content Management System?
Every website that needs to be updated regularly needs a CMS for smooth functioning. A CMS is a software that allows you to easily create and edit the content on your website. As most ecommerce websites deal in clothing, jewellery, and cosmetic items that keep changing with time, CMS is essential for their survival.
Benefits of Using a CMS
• Saves Money and Time
You are in total control of creating and editing all the content on your website. This cuts down any cost of development and also saves time. You don’t need to chase developers. You can spend all your time trying out new designs on your website. Any person who knows how to browse the internet can easily design his/her own website using a CMS.
• Multiple Users Can Work at the Same Time
CMS is browser-based software, so all the members of your team can access it at the same time. This functionality allows for increased collaboration and delivery of complete functionality to the user. Catering to the customers’ needs is crucial to a website or an app’s success. For example, developers can use the CMS platform to create unique content for apps that have multiple features.
As we have already seen the importance of content marketing in growing a website, having a CMS will allow all the content writers to communicate with each other and make quick changes to any posted content.
Best CMS Platforms for Your Ecommerce Website
It powers 39% of the total websites on the internet. WordPress is an ideal CMS not only for eCommerce websites but also for blogs, portfolios, and courses. Users need to install the WooCommerce plugin to add the eCommerce functionality. The software itself is free to install.
• Hundreds of free plugins for managing inventory, customer support, and providing security.
• Themes are optimised for eCommerce with myriad layout and appearance options.
• Customer support from the official website and the user community
• Easy drag-and-drop option to facilitate the user
BigCommerce is being used in over 150 countries around the world for running eCommerce stores. With prices starting from USD 30/month, BigCommerce is an affordable SaaS platform.
• Integration with Amazon, eBay, and social media sites.
• Inventory management tools for users’ ease.
• Abandoned shopping carts recovery which increases revenue.
• More than 40 payment options and shipping to over a hundred countries.
It is the driving force behind more than 250,000 websites. It is most suitable for large-scale businesses and big brands with no budget constraints. The platform itself costs around USD 30,000/year, and hosting services that cost over USD 1000/month.
• SEO features like meta tags, canonical tags, and Google site maps generation.
• Provides 24-hour online support
• Hundreds of plugins and themes are available and are easy to install.
• Multiple languages and currencies are supported.
More than 500,000 websites on the internet are built using Shopify. With prices starting from USD 9/month, Shopify attracts new businesses that want maximum value in minimum price.
• Offers SEO features like product details, image optimisation, and meta tags.
• 24-hour support which has earned a rating of 4.1/5.
• Secured with 256-bit SSL certificate.
• Offers unlimited bandwidth
It hosts over 160 million websites. If you are looking to start an online store on a budget-friendly platform, Wix has got your back with prices starting from USD 13/month.
• More than 500 templates
• Optimised for mobile phones
• Offer a custom domain name
• Built-in media library
Like WordPress, Drupal needs a plugin for adding the eCommerce option. It is best suited for large businesses moving to an online platform as the price of a Drupal project can reach up to USD 100,000.
• Designed for scalability as it easily handles high traffic flow.
• 24/7 support through the official website.
• Can be linked with social media sites.
• Optimised for mobile phones and tablets.
I have tried to explain the importance of a CMS and listed some of the leading names in the market. The internet is full of innovations, and with the mentioned features in a CMS, online businesses are witnessing exponential growth. So, what are you waiting for? Now it’s your turn to decide which CMS suits your business’s needs and just go for it!